CorkSport Intake Manifold - Mazda 3 MPS / 6 MPS
The CorkSport Intake Manifold takes performance and OE fitment and combines them to create a combination that performs and fits without compromise. Equal flow, higher flow, tighter packaging, and TMIC fitment are aspects that define the CorkSport Intake Manifold.
CorkSport know modifying additional components to install a new performance part can be a real PITA; they worked hard to design a performance intake manifold that does not require extensive modification to use. The CorkSport Intake Manifold installs nearly identical to an OEM Intake Manifold plus difficult to access hardware locations on the flange have been clearanced for improved installation.
The following components are in OEM location and install like OEM:
- 1. 70mm Throttle Body Opening
- 2. Oil Dipstick Mount
- 3. MAP Sensor
- 4. PCV Port w/include Barb Fitting
- 5. Top Mount Intercooler (TMIC) Mounts (hardware not included)
- 6. Lower Mounting Brace
The CorkSport Intake Manifold may fit like OEM, but that’s where the similarities end. The CorkSport Intake Manifold is designed with performance and drive-ability in mind with the larger plenum design and long even flow cylinder runners.
The intake plenum is ~3x larger than OEM which improves high RPM power capacity without sacrificing throttle response and drive-ability. The cylinder runners are longer than the typical aftermarket intake manifold to improve mid-range power while still having peak RPM capacity with the single runner design vs the OEM split runner.
Balanced flow is critical to the durability and performance of an engine; this is why the CorkSport Intake Manifold is such a valuable performance component for the Mazda MPS engine. The OEM Intake Manifold has significant flow imbalance between the 4 cylinders which causes cylinders to run excessively lean or rich, affecting engine durability and performance.
Check out the graph to see the difference. Not only does the CorkSport Intake Manifold outflow the OEM design by 70CFM on average, but also significantly reduces the flow imbalance to 2% or less vs the OE imbalance of 21%. This means your engine can run stronger longer and have a higher potential to make power.
- 1. CorkSport Intake Manifold: 275CFM per Runner Average @ 2% Imbalance
- 2. OEM Intake Manifold: 205CFM per Runner Average @ 21% Imbalance
The increased flow capacity and even flow between the cylinders provided by the CorkSport Intake manifold help increase power across the entire RPM range and spool the turbo ~100 RPM faster than OEM. The graph to the right shows the difference in power before and after the CorkSport Intake Manifold on a MPS 3 with the CorkSport TD05H-18G turbo equipped.
The horsepower spike around 3300rpm is a result from a combination of the CorkSport Intake Manifold and a small increase in wastegate pre-load. The increased efficiency of the CorkSport Intake Manifold caused a 2-3psi drop in boost pressure that had to be corrected with the wastegate preload.
Bonus Power Potential
But wait there’s more! Along with the overall design improvement over OEM; there are additional design features that you need to know about!
- 1. First off is the larger throttle body opening measuring at 70mm vs the OEM 60mm. This works great with the OEM throttle body and also allows the use of a larger throttle body without modification if desired.
- 2. Second are the additional fueling ports located on each runner. These are standard 1/8-27 NPT threaded ports that can be used with methanol nozzles or other fueling options.
- 3. Lastly there is an additional 1/8-27 NPT vacuum/boost port for gauges, controllers, etc.
Hardware & Accessories
The CorkSport intake manifold comes to your door with the installed hardware as well as additional hardware and accessories required for installation. This includes:
- 1. Two – M8x1.25x35mm Flange Bolts
- 2. Four – M6x1.0x50mm Socket Cap Bolts
- 3. 1.5 Ft – 1/4” ID Chemical Resistant Rubber Hose for the EVAP System
- 4. 2.5 Ft – 3/8” ID Chemical Resistant Rubber Hose for the Brake Booster
- Vehicle Fitment: 2007-2013 Mazda 3 MPS and 2006-2007 Mazda 6 MPS. 2007-2009 CX-7 Not Confirmed
- Designed in America: Designed in Vancouver, Washington, in the Pacific Northwest.
- CorkSport Service & Support: 2 year limited warranty, full colour installation instructions and all necessary components